July 29, 1874 – E40 Originated & Quartered at 2nd Ave. at East 63rd Street
August 8, 1874 – New Quarters at 153 West 68th Street
September 12, 1892 – Relocated to 232 West 68th Street
September 9, 1893 - New Quarters at 153 West 68th Street
May 1, 1918 – Relocated to 142 West 63rd Street at Ladder 35’s Quarters
January 31, 1960 – Relocated to 129 Amsterdam Ave w/L35
November 6, 1961 – New Quarters at 131 Amsterdam Ave w/L35
January 25, 1988 – Relocated to 101 Amsterdam Ave “The Cave” w/L35
March 22, 1993 – New Quarters at 131 Amsterdam Ave w/L35
July ??, 2016 – Relocated to 205 West 77th Street w/L25 & Div.3
April ??, 2017 – Returned to Quarters at 131 Amsterdam Ave w/L35
November 1, 1907 – Ladder 35 Originated at 142 West 63rd Street
January 31, 1960 – Relocated to 129 Amsterdam Ave w/E40
November 6, 1961 – New Quarters at 131 Amsterdam Ave w/E40
January 25, 1988 - Relocated to 101 Amsterdam Ave “The Cave” w/E40
March 22, 1993 – New Quarters at 133 Amsterdam Ave w/E40
Engine 40 and Ladder 35 are proud to protect the Lincoln Square Area of Manhattan. Our 1st Due area is one of the most diverse and challenging areas in the city to provide fire protection to. From 60 story high rises to 4 story brownstones, Engine 40 and Ladder 35 have almost every classification of building to protect. Along with high rise buildings and brownstones, we protect tenements, "H" types, housing projects, schools, theaters, major subway stations and major utility buildings (steam generation plant and major power substations). Some of our more notable buildings include: the Time Warner Center, Columbus Circle, The Metropolitan Opera House, The Juilliard School, Avery Fisher Hall (Home of the New York Philharmonic), The Dakota (location of John Lennon's assassination), ABC Studios (Live with Kelly & Ryan) and CBS Studios. Both Companies cover from Central Park (including the park) to the Hudson River. North and south the companies cover streets from the Mid 50s to the Mid 70s.
Both Companies have been in existence well before the area was known as Lincoln Square in the 1960s. Before the famed theater complex broke ground, the area was known as San Juan Hill, a rough area that didn't consist of luxury high rises and some of the best known theater in the world.
Many wonder how Engine 40 and Ladder 35 have become known as "The Cavemen." During the period of 1988 to 1993, a 60 story high rise building was built over top of the firehouse forcing the companies to be relocated to a temporary firehouse located under Lincoln center in one of the garages. The firehouse had no windows and consisted of many narrow passages to get around. During this time frame, the men of house were trying to create a patch for the companies that fit the firehouse. The suggestion for "The Cavemen" was made and the rest is history. The name still suits the firehouse today because of the lack of windows our firehouse has. Being situated under a 60 story high-rise doesn't leave much room between the columns for windows. The number of windows is so low that we refer to the locker room window as "the view."